Skip to main content

Porsche 911: Used Oil Analysis

Part of my master plan is to use the first year as a shake down period for the car.  i.e. - catch up on deferred maintenance, fix whatever random (hopefully minor) stuff that pops up and get a baseline for engine health.  Here's how it's gone so far:

I've already described the deferred maintenance and random fixes here.  By the time Christmas rolled around, I'd put around 5000 miles on the car.  That's only half of the Porsche recommended oil change interval, but I was curious about the condition of the oil and one of the local dealers sent me a coupon.  The dealer hooked me up with a Blackstone oil analysis kit & I sent of the sample the week after Christmas.  The results looked great.  There was no contamination of any sort and the metals look good compared to the universal averages at 3900 miles.  Based on the results of the test, I'm going to try a longer interval and it's nice to see that my IMS bearing is in good shape.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1995 NSX - The purchase and trip home.

Preface " You're an idiot ", declares my lovely bride.  More of our conversations begin this way than I'd like to admit, but I was a bit surprised by her reaction. While preparing one of our traditional Friday night pizzas, I brought up the topic of buying a NSX.  Katherine is used my my automotive indiscretions and usually lets slide my four wheeled pontificating.  This time, however, she iterated the many reasons why buying an NSX is stupid - it's expensive, it can only be driven half the year where we live, it will take garage space that we can't  afford to give up, etc, etc. Being a couple beers into the evening, I took my tongue lashing in stride.  If anything, it strengthened my resolve.  This was a car that I've wanted since they were released in 1991 and I wasn't going to let a little thing like practicality influence my decision.  Fast forward a couple months after our kitchen conversation and I'd found a car on NSX Prime.  It was

2015 WRX STI - A year later.

It's hard to believe the STI has been part of the stable for a year already.  It's been a pleasure to live with on a daily basis and is an ideal Colorado car.  The only modification made has been a set of Michelin snow tires, which transformed it from a bank vault on skis to a winter hooligan.  Snow tires + disabled traction control = fun.  It hasn't seen any HPDE or track days, but that may change when the summer tires are re-installed.  Mostly, it's been used as my bike hauler and all-weather sports car.  Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.  If I had to pick a vehicle out of the current stable as my only ride, this would be it.