Skip to main content

1995 NSX - Six Month Report

Six Month Report

The NSX adventure got off to rocky start, so I was unsure of how the car was going to treat me after the somewhat eventful drive home.  After taking car of the initial round of issues, the NSX required the following things during its first six months in my care:

  • Tires
Yep, that's it.  Tires.  My experience with this particular car is consistent with what other owners have said - parts are expensive, but the NSX is a reliable vehicle if maintained properly.

That being said, getting tires was somewhat of an adventure.  I ordered a set of four Michelin Pilot Sports from Discount Tire (yeah, yeah...I know).  The tires arrived after a bit of a wait & I rolled down the canyon for an early Saturday appointment.  The NSX was too low for the shop's floor  mounted lift, so they dispatched a couple guys with floor jacks.  I explained to the manager the proper procedure to jack the car.  He acknowledged me and went about his business.  Shortly after, a couple guys arrived and proceeded to align the floor jacks with the front & rear mount points on the car.

WRONG.

I didn't want to be 'That Guy', but I couldn't let it happen.  I was watching this process from the parking lot and made my way to bay, posthaste.  I explained the correct procedure to the guys jacking the car.  It's not hard - use the jack point just aft of the door to lift the car & lower the car on to jack stands placed under the front & rear mount points.  Surprisingly, the tire guys were receptive to the instructions.  The only problem was that they didn't have jack stands, so extra floor jacks would have to suffice.  With visions of some goofy movie involving a hospital patient careening down a steep hill on a gurney, I suggesting doing one side at a time to avoid the risky proposition of having the car suspended on four ROLLING floor jacks.  Fortunately, they agreed.

Finally, the tires where mounted and I was on my way.  I pulled out of the tire shop onto a busy road with traffic moving ~50 MPH.  While merging, the TCS (traction control) light started blinking like mad and the ECU cut power, limiting forward velocity to about 35 MPH.  It was at this point that I discovered two things - pushing the TCS button to disable the traction control while the system is actively doing its thing doesn't work.  Secondly, there was a motor home coming up fast behind me.  Fortunately, my next stop was just on the right, so I dropped into the turn lane early to avoid having my car mounted by a large, relatively fast moving vehicle.  After a brief stop, I jumped back in the car, fired up the motor and promptly disabled the TCS while stopped.  The car behaved nicely during the drive up the canyon, so it felt like there was some breathing room to figure out the problem.

While stopped the first time, I noticed that the sidewalls on the front tires were noticeably taller than the sidewalls of the tires that were just replaced.  After arriving home, I dug through the paperwork provided by the previous owner for the car (Thanks Ole!) and confirmed my suspicion.  The tires were the wrong size; the aspect ratio was 45 instead of 40.  Given that, it's easy to determine why the TCS freaked out.  Due to the increased rolling diameter, front wheel speed decreased enough to fool the computer into thinking the rear tires were moving too fast relative to the front.  This was likely interpreted as rear tire spin and the car cut power.

A quick call to Discount confirmed that the Pilot Sports weren't available in a 40 series tire.  Their computer showed the 45 series tire as an alternate size, so the ordered those instead.  Fortunately, the Falken RT615 was available in that size and they ordered a pair for me...which would arrive in 10 days.  Damn.

After waiting impatiently and a couple calls to the tire shop, the new front tires finally arrived.  Not wanting to go through the same jack point debacle, I jacked up the car in my garage,  removed the front wheels & tires and headed down the canyon again.

I'm pleased to report that the car drives just fine with the properly sized tires on all four corners.  I'd prefer to run the same tire on all four corners, but the Falkens have a very low treadwear rating and the NSX has a reputation for eating rear tires.  As such, I'll examine my options when it's time for another set of new shoes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1995 NSX - The purchase and trip home.

Preface " You're an idiot ", declares my lovely bride.  More of our conversations begin this way than I'd like to admit, but I was a bit surprised by her reaction. While preparing one of our traditional Friday night pizzas, I brought up the topic of buying a NSX.  Katherine is used my my automotive indiscretions and usually lets slide my four wheeled pontificating.  This time, however, she iterated the many reasons why buying an NSX is stupid - it's expensive, it can only be driven half the year where we live, it will take garage space that we can't  afford to give up, etc, etc. Being a couple beers into the evening, I took my tongue lashing in stride.  If anything, it strengthened my resolve.  This was a car that I've wanted since they were released in 1991 and I wasn't going to let a little thing like practicality influence my decision.  Fast forward a couple months after our kitchen conversation and I'd found a car on NSX Prime.  It was

Porsche 911: Used Oil Analysis

Part of my master plan is to use the first year as a shake down period for the car.  i.e. - catch up on deferred maintenance, fix whatever random (hopefully minor) stuff that pops up and get a baseline for engine health.  Here's how it's gone so far: I've already described the deferred maintenance and random fixes here .  By the time Christmas rolled around, I'd put around 5000 miles on the car.  That's only half of the Porsche recommended oil change interval, but I was curious about the condition of the oil and one of the local dealers sent me a coupon.  The dealer hooked me up with a Blackstone oil analysis kit & I sent of the sample the week after Christmas.  The results looked great.  There was no contamination of any sort and the metals look good compared to the universal averages at 3900 miles.  Based on the results of the test, I'm going to try a longer interval and it's nice to see that my IMS bearing is in good shape.

2015 WRX STI - A year later.

It's hard to believe the STI has been part of the stable for a year already.  It's been a pleasure to live with on a daily basis and is an ideal Colorado car.  The only modification made has been a set of Michelin snow tires, which transformed it from a bank vault on skis to a winter hooligan.  Snow tires + disabled traction control = fun.  It hasn't seen any HPDE or track days, but that may change when the summer tires are re-installed.  Mostly, it's been used as my bike hauler and all-weather sports car.  Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.  If I had to pick a vehicle out of the current stable as my only ride, this would be it.